Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Pirate Card for an Older Boy

Projects for boys can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, but I have found that a pirate theme is always well received.  The long retired 'Ahoy Matey' stamp set has always been a favourite of mine.  The images are fun to colour, and we have made some fun things with it.  They do tend to be better suited for younger children though, so I was pleased when SU gave us the 'Beware Pirates' stamp set that has an 'older' look to it, and was even happier when I finally got around to having a play with it!

For this card I wanted to use 'Not Quite Navy' for the main stamped image, and consulted my colour coach for an easy colour combo that would work with that - More Mustard and Cajun Craze (so easy!)
After recently spending an afternoon with my talented friend and upline Rachael Knight, I am feeling inspired to get my Big Shot out more often, and embossing folders are such a quick and easy way to transform a plain piece of cardstock.  For this card I gave the cajun card mat some texture using the Square Lattice embossing folder.  If you turn it on an angle the crosses become 'x's which are just perfect for a pirate theme (hopefully you can see them in this closeup).
My boys both gave this card the thumbs up so I am thinking I might need to make a few more for the birthday card stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment