Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

DIY Patterned Papers

Something I have been experimenting with for a while is making my own 'patterned papers' and backgrounds, using card, ink and stamps. It doesn't help with using up my stash at all, but there is something very satisfying about looking at a layout that is totally your own. Some of you got a chance to try this out yourselves when you attended an extravaganza with me. So I am wondering - have you tried it again?
Here is an example for you, using one of my favourite two step stamping sets - Petal Prints - I was sad to see this one on the retiring list. It wasn't until my Mum got this set, and I borrowed it (and struggled to give it back!), that I discovered how much I loved it. For a while there, Mum got to see lots of projects made with Petal Prints.

'What set is that?' she would ask. 'I might have to get that'.

'Mmm, same' would be my ever so whispery reply.


(You may be pleased to know that I finally bought another set and now we both have one!)

But back to this layout. The DIY patterned paper bit is the flowery piece behind the photo (okay, so that was a bit obvious, and you probably figured that out already, but just in case you hadn't - it is another bad photo afterall!). It was super simple to do.
Recipe for this one:
Bashful Blue, Night of Navy and Whisper white card
bashful blue, night of navy and mellow moss ink
Stamps: Petal Prints, Office Accoutrements (both retiring) and Life Definitions
Flowers from Pretties kit, rhinestone brad ('ice')
I first stamped with the background part of the daisy flower using bashful blue ink, in a random pattern around the edge of the card. Some of the flowers are stamped off the edge of the card because it just looks better with some hanging over the edge. (I didn't stamp the middle of the card on the layout because I knew that it would be covered over by the photo, but this is a sample scrap for blogging purposes :)

Next I used the daisy outline stamp, and Night of Navy ink, and went over all those backgrounds adding an outline. One of the things I love about this two step set is that you don't have to line them up perfectly. You can if you want, but if like me, you have created your own 'higgledy piggledy' style, then this set is great! For some of the outlines I didn't reink, so the navy is a little lighter, and adds to the pattern (plus more of that quick, higgledy piggledy thing!).

To fill in any gaps I used the leaf stamps and Moss ink, and ... filled in any gaps. I just inked up one leaf at a time, rather than all three. There may still be some overlap, and that was okay by me. Once again, making sure to have some stamped over the edge of the card.

And that's it. Sounds like lots of time consuming steps, but is actually pretty quick, and best of all, you just change the colours/stamps to suit!
When it came time to put the page together I added some bashful blue daisy outlines to the bottom of the bashful blue base card to help to anchor it all. It doesn't show up so well in the photo, so you still get that 'floating in the middle of the page' look, but in real life, it makes all the difference - trust me! See them there - behind the date stamp? Tone on tone stamping is super subtle.

And for the journaling and finishing touches? The handy date and memo stamps from the Office Accoutrement stamp set, and 'happy' from the Life Definitions set. What I love about that memo stamp, is that if you don't want the word memo, you just don't ink it. The perfect journallng spot every time!

Add a couple of flowers and a rhinestone brad, and it's all done. If I get myself organised, next post I will show you how I coloured that flower to match the layout. That will be my challenge.
Your challenge? Pull some of those stamps out and have a go at making your own patterned papers and backgrounds. Go on, I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment